Sunday, August 27, 2006

Uranus is Next

"After a week of contentious public and private debate, a small cluster of astronomers has voted to demote Pluto from its planetary status. Rejecting an expansive definition proposed by a special committee, the astronomers of the International Astronomical Union (IAU) defined a planet as: a celestial body that orbits around the sun; has sufficient mass to become round; and has "cleared the neighborhood around its orbit." On the strength of puny Pluto's inability to dominate nearby Neptune, whose orbit it crosses, as well as to clear out the Kuiper belt of many Pluto-size objects, it fails to qualify as a planet under the new definition. "
"Astronomers Relegate Pluto to Dwarf Status." ScientificAmerican.com

This just rocks me to my elementary school core! Imagine how many mobiles, styrofoam dioramas, and tri-fold poster board science fair projects are now obsolete!

My friend Nick wants to make Save Pluto T-shirts in honor of the ice ball getting demoted to JV status in team solar system. We debated about the saying on the back--"Uranus is next" beat out "There's a hole in my soul-ar system."

I'm currently at Atlanta Bread Company procrastinating while I should be reading about colorectal cancer. I had to stop looking at pathology slides because the internet site went from ok to slow to really slow to "This page cannot be displayed." So I'm wasting time nerdily reading the Scientific American website until 3pm when I need to call Badger Cab to see if they found my wallet. (I had to borrow $10 from my roommate to get lunch today. Not having money, driver's license, credit cards, or your student ID makes daily life a challenge.)

No comments: