Thursday, September 28, 2006

Dinner and a Movie. May it rest in peace.

I just got done watching Grey's Anatomy. (Yes, I do watch, and love, Grey's Anatomy. I think George and I are soulmates.) Meredith just told McDreamy and the vet that she is NOT going to choose. She is going to try *gasp* dating them both! I feel as though most people would read that sentence as "*gasp* dating them both!" However, my mind emphasizes "*gasp* dating them both!" Meredith was right, the concept of dating (at least in my experience) is pretty obsolete.

Katie and I have discussed this, and we both have noticed the death of the date. Not since highschool has someone called me (on the phone, no AIM, e-mail, or dreaded facebook) to ask me if I might enjoy dinner, or possibly a movie. (In highschool, I think we may have even spent a little time in the Funset Boulevard arcade after the show. It was a different era.) Instead, I have been asked to "hang out", "study later", "come over and eat pizza", " 'watch' a movie on the couch", etc. (And actually, none of those things recently, but that's another sad, sad story. It's a dating desert out there.) And, honestly, I don't really mind hanging out, studying, making out while not watching movies, or eating pizza. The problem is that it leaves such ambiguity. Where are you really? Friends? Friends w/benefits? Hooking up? Actually enjoying eachother's company enough to stay together? How's a girl supposed to know?

Sometimes the ambiguity is good. Leaves a little wiggle room. Maybe I don't know if I want to be friends with benefits, hooking up, or starting something with actual > 2-week-term potential. But, I will admit. . . It would be nice, just once and awhile, to gather up my 1.21 gigawatts and pretend it's 1956. I would love to hear of someone, anyone (doesn't even have to be me) having dinner, drinks, and a promising walk-you-to-the-door kind of kiss. Isn't it just a little bit fun to get polished up, then look in the mirror with a little smile and a few stomach butterflies on the edge of something where serious disaster and serious fun are both equally likely outcomes? Aren't we all just a little romantically traditional at heart?

This post is dedicated to Katie K. Us and our men, what are we to do?

1 comment:

Katie Kiekhaefer said...

I agree 100%! (Well, you knew that... lord knows we've talked about it enough.) Oddly enough, I'm glad you brought up Funset Blvd--that got me thinking about the phenomenon of "going together." Yes, middle school/early high school relationships were crazy but at least you knew where you stood.

I say we quit school and dedicate our life to bringing back the date.... whadya think? :) We could make some t-shirts and buttons--it could be very grass roots!

Oh and I think you and George would make a lovely couple. He seems like the dating type